Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Up with the top or I'm not going...

For the BLOG VILLAGE Goes Gonzo Carnival, it is required that each participant write an article that follows a predetermined theme. The 1st BLOG VILLAGE Goes Gonzo Carnival theme is "About the Family".
About my family, let's see...My name is Janey Loree Fisher, I am the oldest of two children born to George and Phyllis Fisher. My parents met while stationed in San Antonio, Texas at Fort Sam Houston. That's right, they were both in the Army. My father was an MP and had to guard a female prisoner in the same building where my mother was performing some of her duties. When she noticed my father was watching her and winked at her, she stuck her tongue out at him and walked away. (Spitfire!)

In the next scene, you will find my mother's roommate diligently trying to get my mother to go on a double date with her. Nothing doing. Momma hated double dates, they always turned out wrong. As her roommate picked out her clothes, my mother kept saying she didn't want to go. Finally, Momma succumbed to her roommates ernest entreaties that she needed her to go along for moral support.

As they were about ready for the guys to show up, a beautiful Salmon colored 1956 Chevy convertible pulled up in front of their dorm. The guys jumped out, put the top down and were just snapping the last snap when they heard, "Up with the top or I'm not going!" Sure enough, it was the spitfire.


By the time the girls came down stairs, the convertible top was back up. As my dad helped my mother into the front seat, she noticed that he was the same MP that had winked at her earlier that week. Ugh! When he got in behind the wheel,after helping her into the front seat, she noticed his double jointed thumb resting on his knee as he pulled out from the curb. It was shaking!

They went to a hamburger joint in New Brunsfels for the next 56 days. If you looked in the window you would be able to see them sitting there while my dad sang to my mother. After 56 days they got married and will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in 2009!

Side Note: My
mother painted "The Mountain Lake" picture in the background!

22 comments:

The Gatekeeper said...

Oy Vey! The Gatekeeper needs to find a man who would sing to her. What a beautiful memory. I better get to writing about the family. Ah, the stories should be good to read at the carnival.

Unknown said...

So do I! Music has been a very special part of my life!

We are hoping that the turn out for the carnival is exceptional!!!

Rosemary said...

I agree, that's a beautiful memory! This Carnival is going to so much fun, getting to read so many great posts, and getting to know lots of Villagers and their blog friends, too.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read all the posts!!!

CyberCelt said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. Here from the Blog Village Carnival.

Unknown said...

I am visiting from the Blog Village Goes Gonzo Carnival!!! This is my post but I wanted to thank cybercelt for stopping by and then get on my way to the next post in the Carnival...

Anonymous said...

Janey,

Isn't is strange the way life works out? This just proves how fate seems to step in. Good story.

JAM said...

This is a wonderful story. I know several couples that started out antagonistic and ended up closer than you can imagine.

(I'm visiting from the Blog Village Goes Gonzo Carnival.)

Barb said...

What a heartwarming story :) I'm here from the carnival.

Rosemary said...

You have me smiling from ear to ear, Janey. What a great story about how they met!!! I never liked blind dates, either.

The Gatekeeper said...

Hi Janey, I already left you a little ditty, but I forgot to tell you--I just LOVE Spitfire!!!

Marshamlow said...

Hello, I am here from the carnival too! I love your story, 56 days to 50 years, I love it.

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

Wonderful love story - thanks for sharing :) Here via the carnival!

RUTH said...

Ahhhhhh....what a lovely story. They were "meant to be".
Here from blog canival

Stjernesol said...

A beautiful story :)

Visiting from Blog Village...

Naomi said...

Lovely story Janey. Thanks for sharing with us how your parents met. Your blog is great. It's my first visit here.

Marion said...

Wow! Your dad sang to her! What a wonderful story...

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic story! Many thanks for sharing it... makes me want to blog about how my wife and I met... at a local mental institution... and she thought I was a complete moron before meeting me there.

Unknown said...

Jan, Jam, Skittles, DB, Gatekeeper, Marsha, Heather in BBC, Ruth, StJernesol, Naomi, Marion, and Matthew...thank you for stopping by my post while I was visiting yours!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Janey, great story. I think we always fall for guys who sing to us!

LJP said...

How cute!! I like the serenading part!

Here for the Blog Village Carnival

Unknown said...

Hi jillbeth and ljp! Thanks for stopping by...I've had the joy of singing with my dad!!!






Provided by International Bible Society

Blog Carnivals...

Blog Village Quarterly Carnival
Fall Fest
October 29, 2007 England goes GONZO Carnival BLOG VILLAGE Carnival: Recreation