Thursday, July 26, 2007

Family Recreation...

When I started writing this post, I realized that my mother and I have been so busy working on our home business that we have not made a whole lot of time for conventional recreation. For the past 5 years, most of our time has been spent in our workshoppe. We stop to eat, sleep and go grocery shopping once in awhile.

The meaning of the word recreation in The New International Webster's Dictionary is:
pastime, physical or mental refreshment
In conducting a short word study, which I love to do, I looked up the meaning of some of the other words.




pastime
~ amusement
amusement ~ entertainment
entertainment ~ something that entertains; interesting, diverting, or amusing thing;
refreshment ~ food or drink which refreshes
refresh ~ renew, replenish; restore vigor or freshness

So, recreation is something that entertains while at the same time restores freshness in our physical or mental bodies!!!

Reflecting on this meaning I realized that my daily life is recreational, I love to spend time with my family. Being around them when they are doing something they love to do is sometimes entertaining and a lot of the time amusing.













My sons train horses, they are training my horse and train other people's horses. It is entertaining to watch them work with their horses and to watch them go through their paces. It is also very relaxing. After a long day in the workshoppe, I sometimes go over to the stables with TnT. I amuse myself by taking pictures of the horses and my cowboys. It is interesting to note that I have taken more than 7000 pictures since Christmas of last year!


My parents work around the house and yard. My dad loves to work with wood. He built cornice boxes above all of the windows. The workshoppe desks, work tables, and pigeon hole wall unit that are in our work trailer were built by my dad. He put together a couple of jigs to help cut paper and fold paper. My mother has two green thumbs and has turned our desert home into an oasis of green! Even in her early 70's, being almost blind from diabetes, she loves to create new paper dolls and paper doll clothes, and art sparks.

On the weekends, my brother, rides his dirt bike or his desert runner. My sons ride the desert trails with him and with friends from work. My brother's desert runner is a stripped down '81 Toyota Pickup that used to be his welding truck. Roll bars were added and an aluminum bed replaced the welding bed. Pipe doors take the place of the original doors and a sun visor and a new aluminum top (not shown) keep the sun out. Here is a recreational pastime that I really enjoy...going for a ride in the desert runner!

It is my goal for this next year to revive an old family recreation of singing together. Read more about that endeavor on our new blog "The Fisher Family Singers".

Thank you for taking the time to read about our version of recreation and I look forward to reading your posts in the BLOG VILLAGE Recreational Carnival!!!




Click Here to Visit BLOG VILLAGE
BLOG VILLAGE Stats:

Today Notes...is ranked at #169 out of 476 blogs
Rating is 10.00
Votes IN = 3
Votes OUT = 11
Last Comment = July 1, 2007 by Naomi


Scripture of the Day:

Matthew 4:4
from "From Faith To Faith ~ A Daily Guide to Victory by Kenneth And Gloria Copeland

Word of the Day:

serendipity
from Dictionary.com

12 comments:

Naomi said...

Great post Janey. It's lovely and very heartwarming to read about a close family like yours in this day and age. Your Mum does marvellously even if she is losing her eyesight. Her designs and yours are wonderful. You are both so very talented. I'm sure you and your family will have a lot of fun singing together.

Unknown said...

Thanks Naomi! I love the way you call your mom "Mum"!!!

CyberCelt said...

Take time to be good to yourself. Its a necessity.

Unknown said...

I am!!! Tuesday morning I will be traveling with both my sons up to Eureka, CA. They are delivering a couple of horses and then we will stop and see a Redwood or two, San Francisco and The Golden Gate Bridge!!!

I will post about that trip when we get back and promise to take plenty of pictures...I've taken over 7000 since I received my Canon EOS 30D for Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

This is BLOG VILLAGE Recreation Carnival Post #23 of 25...

Welcome everyone to Notes That Touch The Heart. We hope that you enjoy the carnival entries!! I'll see you on your entries or blogs if you are just passing through!!!

Sharon Lynne said...

I enjoyed reading about your family, and seeing the pictures! Your mother is awesome. (and your boys too!)

That sounds like a fun trip on Tuesday.

My younger son and I were supposed to leave today for a trip, but had car trouble. Hopefully we can leave on Tuesday. (going camping near Mammoth)

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon! I hope that you and youngest son have a great time!!

Rosemary said...

I always enjoy reading what your wonderful family is up to. Thanks for sharing this post on our Recreation Carnival!

Rosemary said...

Pssst The BLOG VILLAGE square banner doesn't have a link on it.

Unknown said...

Thanks DB! I have enjoyed reading the other posts entered in the Recreation Carnival too! I fixed the BLOG VILLAGE square banner!!

Anonymous said...

What a charming post. My family is scattered all over the country. You are so fortunate to have so many together in such beautiful surroundings.

I've had trouble commenting on your blog, but it seems to be working again.

Unknown said...

I wonder why you keep having problems? Thanks for being persistent! Once both my sons, their four horses, my horse and their four dogs move to Texas we will be scattered too.






Provided by International Bible Society

Blog Carnivals...

Blog Village Quarterly Carnival
Fall Fest
October 29, 2007 England goes GONZO Carnival BLOG VILLAGE Carnival: Recreation