Friday, September 28, 2007

A note from the past...

While going through some old papers the other day, I ran across a letter from my grandma. My mother's parents were very special people and we share quite a few precious memories. There is a picture of my grandparents holding my two sons and my brother's two girls that I will find to share with you. The following is a note from the past (keep in mind my grandpa passed away in 1991 so my grandma has been by herself for five years when she wrote this letter:
Feb 1/96
Dear Phyllis & Family,
I sure hope all is going well for you all. Somehow you are on my mind, but I have been tied to the house so much by snow, etc; that I might be imagining a lot of the things. I am also wondering about Rhonda (her granddaughter; my cousin) she is supposed to have twins this month.
I am watching the snow filling up the work of Reece (her son) & all the other neighbors. I've seen it worse but it is a little too much when I can't be more independent. Roads are too slick for travel just for nothing special, none of our family have had too much trouble yet altho the ones in Christmas Valley say that people are having lots of slick roads.
Shirley (her daughter) can't just get up & travel across the pass either. I guess spring will come & I will like that better. I'd like to drop in on all of you. Reece talked of us coming up to see you but something always seems to interfere with our plans.
I hope Ruth (her sister)will be well enough to be with me for a while before too long. I don't think Bob or Joe (her brothers) either are too well but they don't tell me, so I just put one & one together from what I hear and can only wonder.
I seed to be looking on the dark side to-day so since I can't look on the bright side today I should stop. One thing is worth mentioning tho.
I have quail, snow birds, chickadees, blue jays, squirrels and little dwarf rabbits feeding in the yard. The deer are staying close to Reece's hay & salt blocks. He sure has several nice cattle. Hope to hear from you & Janey and also hear how Doug (my brother) & his family are. Tell them I haven't forgotten them and give them my love.
Mom
& Grandma

Grandma passed away five years later a couple of days before her 92nd birthday. My mother inherited a corner cabinet from her that was the inspiration for the name of our online gift shoppe, PJ's Corner Gift Shoppe. You can see my mother's artistic rendition of the cabinet on our About PJ's page!





Click Here to Visit BLOG VILLAGE

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

We have a huge storage tub almost full of greeting cards and letters that DH's parents kept of what they had written to each other over the years. We read a few of them before we boxed them all up, and they are so romantic. Reading your letter prompts me to dig out that box and enjoy a few more of them. We didn't have the heart to dispose of them all, but not sure what we will ever do with them. It would be a pity to throw them all away, but they can't be enjoyed the way they are now.

Unknown said...

Hi DB! I struggled with posting this letter, but am glad that I did. You know that you could start a blog that chronicles their love story!!! That is in your spare time of course!!!

Naomi said...

This letter brought back memories of my own grandparents. Thank you for sharing it with us Janey. Beautiful post.

Unknown said...

Then I am glad that I shared my grandma's letter!






Provided by International Bible Society

Blog Carnivals...

Blog Village Quarterly Carnival
Fall Fest
October 29, 2007 England goes GONZO Carnival BLOG VILLAGE Carnival: Recreation